With the name "Head-hunter", the Recruiting profession has long been misunderstood as a simple but powerful job. Most people think, doing recruitment is simply going to job posting websites and then sitting back and waiting for candidates to apply. A few days later, you are free to choose, call and schedule an interview. Objectively, it is also difficult to blame such thoughts, because there are many companies that do not have the conditions for "hunters" to do and show their full capabilities.
So, what is the job of a true “hunter”?
Theoretically, the four basic jobs of any "hunter" are respectively:
In fact, another very important part of the job is planning for the long term. However, this job is usually done by Recruitment Manager/HR Manager.
Analyze job vacancies
When receiving a recruitment request, Recruiter (Rec) must discuss carefully with Hiring Manager (HM) or Direct Manager/Head of Department of the position to be recruited to understand the job or requirements in this position. , and then build a Job Description (MTCV) – Job Description (JD) for the position to be filled. This also requires Rec to have certain knowledge and understanding of the expertise of the position to be recruited or else it will be easy to fall into the situation of "duck listening to thunder" when sharing about the job. Please actively research information on Google in advance and show your progress when communicating with HMs.
Besides, Rec also needs to understand the working environment, the personality of the boss as well as the staff he works with. To do this, Rec must actively seek out more internal information of the company/team and must have good questioning, observation and listening skills.
In the process of working, Rec always faced difficult requests from HM. HMs often set double standards with their candidates/employees. They expect the staff under them to be both professional and good-looking, or even to be both professional and good-looking, and to be industrious and hard-working. At that time, Rec must be very alert, grasp the information and trends of the labor market (Understand the source of candidates, salary and bonus, advantages/disadvantages when recruiting for this position) to advise against HM, clearly compromise on the requirements, mandatory criteria. The tragedy does not stop there if your company does not have an abundant budget to pay the salary for the position, you must advise HM to choose the "build" strategy (Recruiting less experienced people with low cost). lower cost and then go back to training) instead of "buy" (Recruit people with enough experience with high salary to use immediately without further training).
A common difficulty in this step is that Rec often receives a sketchy MTCV and lacks information from HM, which requires Rec to have both professional knowledge and writing ability to assist HM in writing the copy. Full MTCV, details easier to understand.
This can be said to be the step that Rec is most difficult to take initiative in because if unlucky Rec has to work in a company far from the city center or a company that has previously had a reputation (Debts on staff salaries, for example, or cuts personnel for example,…). All the negative things in a company/organization, people remember for a long time and it is very difficult to change that in the eyes of candidates. To attract, find the right candidate requires Rec to:
– “Sleeping” regularly with HM, the Employees do similar work with the vacancy to explore and ask if the old colleagues, old classmates, ex-lovers are likely to be suitable for the position. recruitment position to introduce yourself.
– Hard to get up early, come back late to take advantage of a coffee date with potential candidates, even if that UV firmly refuses me, but if I can make an appointment with Rec cafe, I will have a lot of knowledge about the job, the market and some other things. phone numbers of other potential candidates, usually good people often play together. This job is not easy at all because experienced and good candidates often have little need to find work, less respect for Rec, so dating is difficult, have professional knowledge, have topics to "cheat" with the application. Membership is not a simple matter. This part is even more difficult when having to entice managers, even CEOs to come along to meet and sing the fish song to attract talent.
– Go to seminars, seminars, sports clubs, entertainment, seminars to build relationships with potential UVs. (I had to negotiate salary with a candidate in the bowling alley while I had never held a bowling ball before, but thanks to that, I know how to bowl until now)
– Actively learn about recruitment service websites (Posting jobs, searching), headhunt companies through friends, brothers and sisters with experience in the field of HR to choose to use the service effectively without burning. company money. Besides, Rec also has to have a bit of creative and writing talent to design impressive job postings without being considered "exaggerated".
– Stay up all night and go to online forums, social networks (Facebook, Linkedin, ...) to share recruitment information, connect with potential candidates, survey and collect labor market information motion.
Before doing the above, Rec must clearly understand the position that he is recruiting for, and must be able to answer a series of related questions: Why did UV apply for this position? What's fun about doing this job at your company, what's attractive?… In general, what are the characteristics from the nature of the job, working environment, and welfare policy of your company to attract candidates. Rec, if you don't know these issues, don't go and look for UV.
If having to recruit new / about to graduate students in large numbers, Rec must have presentation skills, persuasive communication, closeness to students and lecturers at universities. In addition, Rec also has to capture information, know how to choose to participate in job / recruitment fairs organized by Universities / Colleges and have participated, must always think of tricks and ways to attract Students/Candidates, how do they remember their company and want to apply for their company? (This topic is also quite interesting so I will share the details at another time).
If the recruitment brand is successful, attracting many candidates, then Rec has to face / read a lot of CVs sent back, in which there will be emails, CVs that are not even related. recruitment job. This time requires Rec to be very patient and able to read and evaluate CVs quickly to avoid losing time but not "falling into the net" of any fish.
After screening potential UV, Rec must also have a little "trick" to convince HM to choose a number of CVs for interview because there are very few cases where the CV completely matches the recruitment requirements but will often be rejected. Lack of skills, lack of experience…
Source: Nguyen Thi Thuy Duong - coffeehr